Do you want to build a truly worthwhile career? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit www.worldbank.org.
To apply as Senior Economist, visit https://worldbankgroup.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?id=23117…. Application will close on 26 June 2023 at 11:59 p.m. UTC.
We need the greatest talent focused on our region in order to harness the potential and innovation happening across the continent. The East Asia and the Pacific Region (EAP) has made the fastest progress in economic growth and poverty reduction of any region in the last quarter-century!
Despite this progress, the EAP region still faces huge development challenges. A large portion of the region’s population remains vulnerable to income shocks, including from a global economic slowdown, changing global and regional value-chains, and climate-related risks.
Are you ready to make an impact? We are looking for dedicated professionals to join our innovative and diverse team to improve people’s lives and help countries build back better after COVID!
East Asia and the Pacific Region: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/eap
Roles and Responsibilities
We are seeking to recruit a highly qualified Locally Recruited Senior Economist to cover the Philippines. The work program involves a combination of macroeconomic monitoring, analytical work on growth and fiscal issues, and development policy operations.
The Macroeconomic Trade and Investment (MTI) Team—which is an integral part of the Equitable Growth, Finance and Institutions (EFI) Network—is involved in policy advice, analytical work, non-lending technical assistance and lending activities on a wide range of topics: economic growth, public finance management, macro monitoring, trade and competitiveness and private sector development. The team collaborates closely with other Global Practices and the Country Management Unit to integrate economic analysis in the wider portfolio of the Bank’s lending, analytical and advisory work.
The Philippines MTI work program consists of: (1) Systematic Country Diagnostics Update; (2) Growth Diagnostic (Country Economic Memorandum); (3) Fiscal Consolidation Programmatic Analysis; (4) Philippines Economic Update (twice-yearly).
In addition to the Senior Economist position for this recruitment, the MTI Program is delivered by a Senior Economists, Economist, Research Analyst and 3 Short Term Consultants all based in the Manila Office. The MTI Practice Manager is based in Bangkok. The EFI Program Leader is based in Manila.
Working jointly with the MTI Philippines Team, the selected candidate will have the following duties and accountabilities:
- Co-lead the macroeconomic policy dialogue with Government authorities and development partners.
- Co-lead the preparation of Development Policy Operations (DPOs) and Advisory Services and Analytics (ASA).
- Lead the Bank’s engagement with the country on its overall policy reform program.
- Represent the Bank in its relationship with the IMF on the macroeconomic framework for the country as well as in the preparation of joint World Bank-IMF debt sustainability analyses.
- Lead within the country team a variety of country economist tasks such as the preparation of the Macro Poverty Outlook (MPO), monthly macroeconomic monitoring, and contribute to Country Partnership Strategies.
- Work with the EFI Program Leader, participate in the dialogue with development partners.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Economics with eight years of relevant professional experience (a completed PhD is equivalent to 3 years of relevant professional experience).
- Strong technical skills on macro-fiscal and growth issues and a proven track record in delivering high quality and technically sophisticated analytical work.
- Strong operational and policy dialogue skills, as evidenced by a proven track record in delivering high quality Development Policy Operations.
- Strong integrative skills in order to support the CMU in articulating its strategic thinking on economic growth and poverty reduction and to articulate a coherent policy dialogue with the authorities.
- Proven sense of initiative, results orientation, team work and leadership qualities, and ability to work effectively across sectors/GPs.
- Strong communication skills, including the ability to speak persuasively and to present ideas clearly and concisely with senior authorities.